Lately I’ve been kinda obsessed with Instagram – I’m @ellarend if you want to follow me – and I thought about telling you which apps do I use, since often people ask me how do I edit my photos. I’m not an expert at all, but I always like to try new stuff. So, let’s start!
1. First I assure there’s good, natural lighting, the background color is in contrast with the object/person I’m photographing and the framing highlights what I what to concentrate on.
2. Then I take the picture… well, I take around 3/4 and see which I like most. Of course if you’re photographing a person you have less shots.
3. After that I proceed to do the editing. I mostly use 3 apps, depending on what I want: Rookie, VSCOcam, Afterlight. The first two are free, the last one costs 0.99. With these I modify the lighting, cut the picture if I want, use some filters. My favourite one is VSCOcam because it’s really professional and has amazing filters, but doesn’t have lots of free ones, so if I want something else I go for Afterlight or Rookie. Also Aviary is good.
4. I save the result and open the photo on “images” to see how it is – sometimes the photo can look different in the editing app -.
5. I put a white background so the picture becomes smaller but you can see it entirely (I don’t like to cut the picture into a square). I usually do this with Afterlight, but if you don’t want to buy it you can use Whitagram, that is free.
6. I open Instagram, post the photo and it’s done!
N.B #1: if you search for the tag #vscocam on Instagram you can see gorgeous pictures modified with vscocam and maybe discover cool accounts!
N.B #2: I use one or two apps to edit my photos because I like them in a certain way, you can just put a filter on and upload them on Instagram.
If you know other cool apps write them in the comments!
If you want to follow my adventures don’t forget to follow me on my social networks, the links are in the menu in the “my social media” section.
Have a nice day! :)
All these photos were taken and edited by me with my phone.
I have never studied photography – unfortunately it is too expensive – or work as a photographer, but I’d love to. I also have a reflex, but the lens is broken, so the photos of the last months have been taken exclusively with my phone.
If you want to see more of my pictures with vscocam, click here.